Welcome to Digital Design! New name, new computers, new look! This year students will be using new iMac computers with additional Thunderbolt displays.
This is probably not going to be your typical class. Hopefully you all will gain a wealth of knowledge throughout the year. This is not a lecture-based class. Assignments will be given and you will be provided guidance throughout the year; however, the old saying “you get out of it what you put into it” is very true in this class. Hopefully you will get a lot out of it! Be sure to ask if you have questions! No one knows everything and this is especially true in the world of technology! You will hear me say “did you Google it” many times during your time in my class. Technology changes very quickly and no one single book or website can have all the answers so we will use a wide variety of resources to help you gain knowledge in the areas of graphic and web design as well as basic computer literacy and digital citizenship.
To get us started, the following is a list of things I would like you to accomplish in the next several days:
- Adult students need to complete the Student Information Form and Computer Experience Survey.
- High School students need to complete the Student Information Form, Computer Experience Survey and the High School Schedule.
- Check your email and send me an email with your ten favorite quotes.
- You will create a folder for your work on your computer. You will create the folder on the desktop. Use your first and last name as the name of the folder.
- Create a letter is personal business format (I have emailed you an example). In the first paragraph you will provide me with some basic information about you; such as high school, grade level, parent or guardian names, hobbies (be sure to include art or drawing if it applies to you), school activities, etc. as well as if you are currently employed. In the second paragraph you will tell me what computer and work experience you have; specifically what type of computers and software you have used. In the third paragraph you will tell me what your future plans are (in the next couple of years and then within the next ten years) and what you expect to gain from this class.
- You will create a blog using WordPress.com. The first page or home page of your blog will include your daily posts. Create additional pages such as About Me and Favorite Work. You will be adding to the Favorite Work page as you complete assignments during the year. You can also create a Favorite Links page.
- You will create a QR code in which you will place on the front cover you design for your Professional Development Planner and other materials throughout the year. The QR code will direct people to your blog.
- You will create an Apple ID (be sure to use specific instructions from me).
- You will download Dropbox to your computer and use it as a backup system for your important documents.
- You will start utilizing Lynda.com to learn about about the operating system of the iMac computers.
Quote: Put your heart, mind and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success. ~ Sivananda Saraswati